April, I nickname it the month of birthdays. At least 5 important birthdays happening during this month itself, out of which 3 are of my nephews and niece (talk about precise family planning - hehe). But out of all these birthdays, I only managed to bake 1 birthday cake for one of my nephews.
Chocolate Cookies & Cream Cake
(1) 1 prepared sponge/chiffon cake, sliced evenly into 3 layers
(2) 1 tube of chocolate cream cookies (such as Oreos or any other brand), coarsely crushed with cream
(3) Prepared butter frosting (see below for recipe), divide into 2
1. Add (2) into 1 portion of (3). Coat evenly.
2. Spread the above evenly in between the sliced cake layers.
3. Coat the remaining frosting evenly all around the cake. Decorate as wished.
Chocolate Butter Frosting: (based on recipe from Cookie Madness)
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup plain flour
3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup milk
1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips, melted and cooled
1. In a saucepan, stir sugar, flour and cocoa powder until well-mixed. Add milk and stir until smooth or evenly-mixed.
2. Turn heat to medium and cook, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and starts to boil.
3. Reduce heat to low, cook for another 2 minutes, stirring all the while.
4. Remove saucepan from heat; cool completely.
5. Beat softened butter until creamy on medium speed. Gradually beat in cooled milk mixture, vanilla and melted chocolate until fluffy.