Wednesday, August 08, 2007

When craving for Japanese fast-food....

Whenever I crave for Japanese fast-food, I turn to Sakae Sushi to satisfy my craving. Having replaced my previous Japanese fast-food favourites, Sushi King and then Genki Sushi, the best thing about Sakae Sushi is you don't really feel you are dining in a fast-food style environment. The outlet I usually visit which is located in Subang Parade is tastefully done. Pretty comfortable to dine-in, especially when it's not too crowded. There is even an al-fresco dining option outside on the balcony.

Of course, they have the standard kaiten belt filled with sushi-laddened plates. And I have to give them marks for creating quite a variety of not-so-common sushi dishes. But other than sushi, I do like some of their dishes very much.
070805 002 (Small) (Custom)
Pumpkin Chawanmushi
Not really a fan of chawanmushi but I absolutely love all-things pumpkin! And this is a good one. Perfectly smooth and silky steamed egg custard, to the point of being slightly gelatinous and topped with the cutest mini mushrooms. The best part is of course the gem hidden within - tons of mashed sweet pumpkin which is simply divine! Good value too for RM3.90.
070805 006 (Small) (Custom)

Another favourite of mine at Sakae Sushi is their Sakae Salad.
070805 004 (Small) (Custom)-1
Salad topped with tamago sticks, jelly fish, seasoned seaweed, crispy salmon skins, beancurd skins, fried egg flakes, slices of fesh raw salmon and tossed together with the accompanying sweet plum sauce as dressing, it reminds me of my beloved Chinese New Year Yu Sang and certainly deserves another round of thumbs-up from me. And all this for about RM8.90 only (mind you, serving is far from meagre too).

On this particular day, I also ordered a portion of Spicy Tuna Handroll (RM1.90).
070805 005 (Small) (Custom)
This is much less impressive and less than satisfactory. A handroll stuffed with a wee bit of spicy tuna and shredded cucumber. But for the price, I reckon it's pretty alright too as a light bite.

As far as I know, aside from Subang Parade, Sakae Sushi has outlets in The Curve and Bangsar Village II. So try it if you haven't already.

Sakae Sushi
Ground Floor, Subang Parade

10 comments:

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

Such mouthwatering pictures!! I haven't tried a pumpkin chawanmushi before. Looks really yummy!

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

hmmm yeah i must agree that its the better out of the latter u were talking about..but i still rather pay abit more premium for the proper stuff..haha..

myCoffee said...

Hi Lyrical,
It is indeed yummy. Must-try if you love pumpkin and wanna taste a interesting twist to the classic chawanmushi.

Hi Joe,
True-true but no many places can boast to have pumpkin chawanmushi... hehe.

Unknown said...

love their baby octopus and soft shell crab maki..hehehe

Precious Pea said...

I tried once at The Curve outlet and was rather disappointed cos they put too much vinegar into the rice and so it tasted funny. But i do agree with you that their menu is quite extensive and impressive. Maybe I should give it another try.

myCoffee said...

Hi kbcg,
Hmmm..., shall try your recommendation next.

Hi precious pea,
I think there are hits-and-misses in their menu. But i think they are worth another try.

Cuisine Paradise said...

Yeah! I love their pumpkin chawanmushi too.. it's so smooth and delicious. I always order 1 whenever i visit Sakae Sushi. :)

Tummythoz said...

Interesting chawan mushi.
I'm always unsure of whether to take this as appetiser, main or dessert.

daphne said...

mmm.. sakae sushi is very popular in SG. I dont know why but I feel that their standard is not consistent between outlets.

Having said that, I frequently visit Subang Parade and One Utama when I head to Malaysia so I might give that branch in Subang Parade a try!

myCoffee said...

Hi ellena,
Totally agree.

Hi Tummythoz,
I would suggest as an appetizer or side dish.

Hi Jackson & Daphne,
I guess they face the same problem that many chain food outelets face, inconsistency in maintaining food quality.