Tuesday, January 16, 2007
First Birthday Cake of the Year
Pandan Coconut Almond Cake
Baked my first birthday cake of the year. It was actually for my maid. I was in the kitchen on Saturday baking a Sweet Corn Jelly Layer Cake to bring to a dinner that night when my SIL told me that our maid's birthday was just 2 days away. As I still had some time to kill till dinner, I thought that I will bake her a birthday cake.
As it was a spontaneous decision, I had no idea on what to bake for her. A quick scan on what ingredients I had available in my pantry and I finally decided on a Pandan Coconut Almond Cake.
Very simple to make and it was rather light yet delicious.
1 prepared pandan-flavoured sponge cake (or vanilla flavoured).
1 cup dessicated coconut, toasted and mixed well with 2T castor sugar
1 cup almond flakes, toasted
1 to 1+1/2 cup whipping cream (I used Whipee)
2 -4T superfine sugar
1/2t Pandan paste
1. Slice cooled sponge cake into 3 even layers.
2. Whip cream to soft peaks. Add sugar and pandan paste and whip till stiff.
3. Put one layer of sponge onto a cake board. Spread a generous layer of whipped cream onto it.
Sprinkle toasted almonds and dessicated coconut on top of it.
4. Repeat with another layer and top with the 3rd layer of sponge cake.
5. Cover the entire cake with the remaining whipped cream. Decorate the sides of the cake with
the remaining coconut or as you wish. Keep cake chilled.