Friday, February 09, 2007

So what are you baking for CNY?

Lately, I have been receiving a few enquiries from friends who knew of my interest in baking. They asked me, "So what are you baking for Chinese New Year?" I felt ashamed in replying, "So far, nothing." With CNY about a week more to go, time is running out for me particularly when I have been too ambitious in preparing my "CNY To-Bake List". I think I had at least 6 different types of cookies that I planned to bake. But like I said earlier, with CNY about a week more to go, I think I need to be more realistic and trim the list down to maybe 4 selections. Or perhaps 3. Hmm...., or maybe just 2.

But at least, I already baked my 1st batch of CNY cookies. Ta-da....., Green Peas Cookies (not green bean or mung beans).
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
A friend introduced me to these cookies last year which I enjoyed very much. Then later, I found a stall in a shopping mall that sells very good green peas cookies - the melting type. Sadly, they no longer sell them. Recently, I found a recipe for these cookies and to my delight, the recipe looked so simple to make (and they really are!). This version results in a very crunchy cookie, particularly since I did not blend the green peas too well, rather roughly grounding them into coarse bits.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Using a good oil is important (such as sunflower, canola or soya that does not have a strong scent), otherwise the cookies will stink of oil (I can't stand the smell of blended cooking oil such as Knife or Neptune. I also added some vanilla essence, just in case.

May have to bake another batch since I almost finished the first batch by myself *grins*. Well, at least 1 down and another 1 or 2 more to go...

Link to recipe.

4 comments:

MeiyeN said...

green pea cookies? never try before but i think i saw it ytday at bangsar village... da melting type one! maybe you can check it out there :D

boo_licious said...

mycoffee - they're selling green pea flour in Bake with Yen. Maybe that will be better? Saw lots of ladies stocking up yesterday. You can get these cookies too at coffeeshops where they sell CNY cookies.

Cuisine Paradise said...

Wow...Green Pea cookies... that's really new to me... How i wish they had it over here so i can give it a try to see how it taste like... :p

myCoffee said...

Thanks for the info gals! If you haven't tried this type of cookies before, I strongly urge you to give it a try! I love them! Although feedback varies from being "VERY GOOD" to "Aiya, hard to bite lar....". ;-p