Ebony: Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Cookies
The school holidays are here again. As a treat to the little ones at home, I baked some cookies to keep their sweet tooth satiated. Nothing works better than classic chocolate chip cookies. I baked 2 types using new recipes and nick-named them Ebony (Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Cookies) & Ivory (Crispy Chocolate Chip Cookies). The former was soft and chewy, and the Peanut Butter chips very, very addictive. The latter was one of the more successful crispy-type CC cookies recipe that I have tried, mainly due to the amount of shortening used (I think). However, you should note the shortening is basically flavourless so that the end results are less fragrant than one that uses all butter. I would suggest increasing the butter:shortening ratio (through test & trial) or increasing the amount of vanilla essence (or use premium quality vanilla paste) to give the cookies more fragrance and flavour.
Recipe for Ebony (Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Cookies) based on Cookie Madness recipe.
1/2c butter softened
1 large egg
2c plain flour
1/3c unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 + 1/8t baking soda
1 generous cup (or more) of Reese's Peanut Butter Chips (optional: mix with chocolate chips)
Cream butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla. Mix together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt and add to creamed mixture. Add in in peanut butter chips. Chill for about 30 minutes and drop by tablespoonfuls onto silpat or baking sheet lined with non-stick paper. Bake at 175 celsius degrees (pre-heated) for 8-10 minutes. Cool on sheet for a couple of minutes before transferring them to wire rack to cool completely. Store in air-tight container.
Ivory (Crispy Chocolate Chip Cookies) based on recipe from The Canadian Baker
1/4 c softened butter + 1/4c shortening
1/2 c sugar
1/2 c packed brown sugar
1 large egg
1 /2 T vanilla
1c plain flour
1/2t baking soda
1/4 t salt
1 c semisweet chocolate chips
(optional: 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans)
1) Cream butter with shortening and slowly add in sugars. Cream until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla.
2) Whisk together flour, baking soda and salt. Add into (1). Mix till just combined. Stir in chocolate chips and walnuts.
3) Chill for about 30 minutes and drop by tablespoonfuls onto silpat or baking sheet lined with non-stick paper. Leave some space in between cookie doughs (it will spread) and lightly flatten with fork.
4) Bake at 190 celsius degrees (pre-heated) for 8-10 minutes, or until edges are golden but center still looks slightly underbaked.
5) Cool on sheet for about 5 minutes before transferring them to wire rack to cool completely. Store in air-tight container.