Saturday, June 24, 2006

Clearing Leftovers! (Pandan Walnut Chiffon Cake, Light AnzacBiscuits, Apple Cheddar Muffins, Raisin Cinnamon Swirl Bread)

First of all, I have to confess the recipes of choice today were picked based on some leftover ingredients that I have used before and needed to finish up before they spoil.

1st leftover ingredient: 3/4 packet coconut milk
Finished product: Pandan Walnut Chiffon Cake
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
It has been awhile since I last baked this. This is a thoroughly tried and tested recipe and my favourite chiffon cake recipe among a few others that I have tried. Recipe is by Amy Beh (try searching on cyberkuali.com). Always "gone in no time", it remains as a huge hit among my nephews and nieces. Basically, this cake is always baked for them. In an attempt to add a new twist to the recipe, I added some walnuts to make it more interesting.

2nd leftover ingredient: About 1/4 packet of rolled oats
Finished product: Light Anzac Biscuits
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Have been wanting to bake myself some Anzac Biscuits since I received some from a BBM event some time ago. The recipe that I used here is a "lighter" version from Cooking Light. Not bad!

3rd leftover ingredient: 1 apple and some leftover cheddar cheese block
Finished product: Apple Cheese Muffins
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Ah, need to use up the remaining cheddar cheese block before it starts to ferment and go to waste. Coincidentally, I have one (not-exactly-fresh) apple in the fridge that no one wants. Just perfect for this recipe. Slightly sweet and salty at the same time, it provides an interesting change to the usual sweet muffins that I baked.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Filled with apple chunks!

And also a "No-Knead" Raisin Cinnamon Bread after coming home from the Sunday Bubbly Brunch (check out the post above)
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey viv, your baked goods look yummy! i like the chiffon cake. its something i'll never b able to achieve. i always fail in my chiffon cakes. dunno how to get the soft & fluffy texture.

myCoffee said...

Hi Evan,
Thanks. Try the recipe that I mentioned in the post. It never fails to yield me a high and fluffy chiffon cake. The most important thing to take note of is beating the egg white. Make sure all utensils used to beat the egg white is oil-free. And it has to be beaten till stiff peaks (about 10 mins on mixer). Also be careful when folding in the egg yolk mixture as not to deflate the egg white mixture. What I do is to fold about 1/3 of the egg white into the egg yolk mixture first, combine them gently before folding it all into the remaining egg white mixture. Before going into the oven, bang the pan firmly on the counter top 3x to get rid of air bubbles. I try not to open the oven door for the first 15 mins of baking, after which I had to because usually, the top will brown too fast and I need to cover with foil. After baking, immediately invert the pan upside-down and let it cool that way till the pan is cool to touch before removing the cake from the pan. If you don't do this, the cake will sink.
HTH!

rokh said...

interested in the no knead bread. can give me recipes?

myCoffee said...

Sure. Here's the link to KC.
http://www.kitchencapers.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=5019