Sunday, May 28, 2006

Guiltless Pleasures, or Not (Fuits & Nuts Cake & Oven Baked Fried Chicken Wings)

In my continued quest to look for healthier alternatives and yet, get to indulge in my favourite food (aka desserts in general), I decided to try these 2 fat-free recipes. And I am very glad that I did.

I call this Fruits & Nuts Cake (or so-called Wallpaper Loaf as found here). As mentioned in the recipe, I was initially pretty apprehensive when I prepared the batter. There seems to be less than sufficient batter for the mixture and fruits & nuts. If it wasn't for the pre-warning in the recipe, I would have thought I did something wrong somewhere. Also, I told myself to have confidence in the cake, convinced that I would love the final result. And I did! Very much so. It's just like eating a Fruits (I used a mixture of dried apricots, red dates & golden raisins) & Nuts (toasted walnuts and almonds). Obviously, the cake (un-cut) was far from the prettiest that I'd baked but I have to say, taste-wise, they are one of my favourite! Then again, once sliced, they are quite a sight to behold too.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Guilt-free Fruits & Nuts Cake

The second recipe is from KC. Another much-raved about recipe. Its novelty lie in the fact that this is basically an oil-free fried chicken wing. How can this be, you may ask. But it is true. Not 1 drop of oil was used. It's simply baked in the oven. Moreover, during baking, more fat were drained out from the chicken (to make it even healthier, if that's possible). Taste-wise, let me just say that they were "fingers-licking-good" (to quote Colonel Sanders) when paired with sweet chili sauce. I walloped 3 in 1 go. And that must surely say something about these delicious morsels.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Oil-free Oven-baked Fried Chicken Wings

No comments: