Sunday, August 13, 2006

Accidental Sunday (Acar, Balsamic Chicken & Grilled Tumeric Chicken)

Accidental - yes. And I mean it in a "literal" way.

Sunday afternoons call for testing of new recipes. After all, Sunday evenings are (un)officially family dinner night. Mom gets a day off from the kitchen while SIL and I slave away to prepare dinner (although most of the time, she cooks and I bake).

These are my picks for today.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Healthy Acar (Pickled Vegetables) Salad
Ingredients:
Garnishing:
- Roasted white sesame seeds
- Fine or coarsely chopped roasted peanuts
(Either dice or cut it length-wise into 1" length) the following:
1 cucumber
1 carrot
1 small head of round cabbage
200g or 8-10 ropes of long beans
Diced canned pineapples
(optional) any other suitable vegetables of your liking
Method:
1) Mix carrots and cucumber with some salt. Put aside for 1 hr. Drain.
2) Blanch cabbage and long beans in boiling water. Drain.

Sauce:
1) Juice of 2 lemons mixed with 2T of sugar (or more) and a pinch of salt
2) 2 stalks of lemongrass (diced)
3) 1/2 stalk of bunga kantan (diced)
4) 5 red chillis or more (seeds removed and diced)
Method:
Pulse (2, 3 & 4) in a blender or food processor until fine. Combine with juice mixture. Set aside.
Salad Method:
In a large bowl, toss all the prepared vegetables with the sauce. Add handfuls of sesame seeds and peanuts (or you can opt to add this upon serving). Transfer to a contained and chill in fridge overnight.
* If you want it sweeter, than just add more sugar when tossing the salad.

Also, I tried out 2 recipes by Gina from KC. Oven-baked Balsamic Chicken and Grilled Tumeric Chicken.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Oven-Baked Balsamic Chicken (family size serving)
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Oven-Baked Balsamic Chicken (small serving)

And then, the 'accident' happened. I was re-heating up some of the marinating sauce in the microwave. Only wanted to heat them up a wee-bit but I forgot the time and over-heated them so by the time I removed it, it was steaming hot. I brought it to the dinner table and was standing behind my SIL when she suddenly turned, bumped into me and caused the sizzling 'sauce' in the bowl to spill onto my left hand. My left wrist was scalded. For the next 30 minutes, I was seeing 'stars'. Oh, man..., it was painful even though the burnt area was small. Within hours, blister the size of a 10-cent coin formed on my wrist. Ouch! Not to mention I now bear discoloured burnt marks on my wrist...*boo-hoo*
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This picture was taken 'post-accident'. I was still in pain, hence my hands were shaky. Couldn't be bothered with the lighting too.

Back to the chickens, I prefer the Tumeric to the Balsamic Chicken. Nicely crisped skin with juicy meat, highly fragrant and delicious. The Balsamic Chicken was alright too but I was already taken with the flavour of the Tumeric Chicken.

So there you have it, my 'accidental' Sunday.

9 comments:

Gracio said...

mycoffee..Oh dear!It was a really painful experience!! hope ur hand is better now... Do take care & i love visiting ur blog too! ;)

Anonymous said...

viv, sorry to hear about your little accident. next time, should u have similar accidents, rub the burnt area with BUTTER!! something i learnt from our family doctor. the butter will soothe the area and makes it less painful and it will also stop the blister to form.

Anonymous said...

viv, about the butter trick, its only good for minor burns. just a word of caution. I would slice off a thin slice of cold butter and gently rub on the burnt spot. basically its just to cool down the burnt spot. then when its less painful, will clean the area again, apply medication.

Unknown said...

Mycoffee, do take care of that burn, it must have really hurt!

boo_licious said...

Poor mycoffee - take lots of care and try and follow those old remedies that mothers always have to prevent scarring.

myCoffee said...

Thanks all, for the kind words. The pain is gone now but I am still sporting a 'huge bubble' (aka blister) on my wrist. Also applying aloe vera day and night in the hope that it prevents permanent scarring.

Gina, thanks for the useful advice. I will definitely keep it in mind.

Babe_KL said...

awww poor mycoffee. i had an accident earlier this morning too. my colleague bumped into me whilst i was holding a cup of hot water. my fingers were red and slightly swollen. i run them thru cold water then apply some toothpaste. no more swollen nor redness now. take care yah

btw, i'm hosting the Merdeka Open House 2006. see if you can cook up something for the virtual potluck. for details, pls check here http://babeinthecitykl.blogspot.com/2006/08/merdeka-open-house-2006-calling-all_15.html

looking forward to your participation ;-)

myCoffee said...

Hi babe_kl,
Thanks. Sorry to hear about your accident too but glad that you are alright.
As for the event, would like to join but I won't be around that entire week. Will be in Sydney and only coming back on Sep 4.

Anonymous said...

oh viv, i'm so sorry to hear abt yr little accident. hope u hv recovered by now. take care!