Sunday, July 30, 2006

Fat-Free but Sugar-High! (Norwegian Pear & Walnut Cake and Pandan Redbean Rolls)

One of the greatest irony for me was something that is fat-free and thus, deemed as being healthy but yet ladened with high-dosage of "unhealthy" sugar. Does this still classify the dessert as being healthy? To some, it could even be worse than not being fat-free. But to a sweet-toothed person like me, this fact is a good enough reason to dig-in. Yeah, Like I needed any. *grin*

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Norwegian Pear & Walnut Cake (I made a mistake in labelling the photo above)
One bite into the crusty exterior and soft interior, ladened with chunks of pear and walnuts, you will easily fall in love with this cake.
Based on the recipe from "Everybody Likes Sandwiches" blog, my version is as follows:
1/3c sugar + 1/4c demerara sugar (reduce more if you like)
1/2 c plain flour

1/2 t salt
1 t baking powder
1 egg
1 generous cup diced pears
1/2 c toasted walnuts, chopped
1 t cinnamon powder
1. In a bowl, mix together the sugar, flour, salt, and baking powder.
2. Break an egg into the center of the mixture. Combine well.
3. Mix in pears and nuts. Pour mixture into a greased and floured 8" pie pan.
4. Bake 20-25 minutes at 175c (pre-heated), or until edges are crispy and pulls aways from pan.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Chilled Pandan Red Bean Rolls (FAVOURITE RECIPE) (Recipe can be found from JoDeliBakery: see side bar for link)
This is like a "rolled" version of snow mooncake. I like them a lot! Best eaten just chilled from the fridge. Once it reaches room temperature, it may be just a bit cloyingly sweet.

5 comments:

sHar0n said...

Hie there. What a nice spread of food...!!

Can you please direct me to the recipe for the Pandan Redbean Rolls? I've been to Jo's website but I couldn't find this recipe.

I'm very interested in trying out this recipe because I couldn't find mooncake mould here in UK. Thanks for your help.

myCoffee said...

Hi,
Thanks. The recipe is posted under "Pastries & Dim Sum" and is called "Banana Rolls" on her website. Please try again. :)

sHar0n said...

Thanks for pointing this out to me! I didn't actually check out every recipe there...my fault! Sorry....

Can you tell me what is koh fun? Is that something that you can buy off the shelf? If yes, do you know of any substitute that I can use? I don't think I've seen something like this here in UK.

myCoffee said...

Koh Fun is basically cooked glutinous rice flour. You can either dry stir-fry the plain glutinous rice flour until it is really dry (be careful of flying flour though...) or another method is to oven-bake it till very dry consistency. I also heard of people zapping it in the oven. I haven't tried any of these methods though since koh fun is available at the local baking stores.

Anonymous said...

Hi...sorry I can't find Jo's website.