Saturday, July 22, 2006

Lesson learned: Line Your Pans! (Low-fat Lemon Walnut Slice & Mixed Berries Yogurt Bread)

Yup, line your pans people. Especially when baking slices. Do not take chances (or be lazy) like me. Although the recipe did not ask for this step, I have baked enough to know that it is best to line the pans when baking slices and squares. Especially when no or little fat is involved.

Alas, I didn’t. And as a result, my lovely lemon curd on walnut crust stuck to the bottom of the pan. Like glue. I guess the instruction to “let it cool in pan” gave it plenty of time to adhere itself like a 2nd skin to the pan. I spent a good 20 minutes trying to pry it up from the pan. A task similar to Cinderella’s step sisters trying on the glass shoe aka impossible! If I hadn’t tasted the “oh-so-fine-tasting” lemon curd, I would have abandoned the attempt altogether.

So, for my hard work, I got these. Out of the entire square, I managed to save 3 ‘ok-looking’ slices.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Click for original recipe
The rest? In my stomach…

And somewhere along the way, I also baked a Mixed Berries Yoghurt Bread with Blue Poppy Seeds. Coincidentally, like the lemon slice, it contains no fat too.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi viv, they look awesome!! i bought some lemons and i wanna try something similar. your post just came in handy. thx!

myCoffee said...

You are welcome, evan. Just remember to grease-line-grease again, to be safe. ;)