Saturday, July 15, 2006

KFC Chicken Cookies??? (Lemon Poppy Seed Oat Cookies)

Lemon Poppy Seed butter cake is one of my all-time favourite recipe. Simple to make but elegant to taste. I also like adding poppy seeds to a moist banana cake, but with the addtion of lemon zest of course. To me, the combination of lemon and poppy seeds cannot go wrong, or so it seems.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I tried to be creative today and give a twist to a rather simple but nice healthy oat cookies which I had tried before. This time, I added lemon oil and poppy seeds. During photography time, one of my nephew, Clement was excited and couldn't wait to try the cookies. So I gave him one. Then I asked him, "Nice or not?" to which he nodded his head while savouring the cookie, "Yummy! Tastes like KFC chicken."
I nearly dropped the plate of cookies that I was holding. Now, I haven't tasted the cookie yet but I was like "WTH???" I mean, I haven't had my cookies being compared to a fried chicken before, have you? Nor would I want it too. So I took a bite. Hmm, strange that it may seem, but it does taste somewhat like KFC chicken skin (haha). These cookies are the crunchy and crispy type. The addition of poppy seeds upped the 'crunch' factor and also gave it a slight peppery taste while the lemon took a back seat. It is only after a couple of bites that you could taste a slight hint of lemon. Despite having it likened to the taste of a KFC chicken skin, I wouldn't call these cookies the savoury type. Crispy, crunchy, nutty, peppery, lemony - I definitely took a liking to them.

4 comments:

boo_licious said...

Hee hee, so cute! KFC cookies. I guess he thot it was KFC chicken nuggets.

Anonymous said...

haha viv, your nephew is SO cute!! cookies like KFC chicken, what a comparison! one day he's gonna tell you your cake looks like a plate of horfun :p i'm so jealous ok....i don't hv any poppy seeds but would love to have them!! i heard its illegal to hv in singapore. if i buy in malaysia, must hide lah, if kena found out in the customs, they will confiscate. sigh...there are so many yummy bakes i can do with poppy seeds! and your cookies look really good!

Edith said...

Love the way you described - really funny. Talking about poppy seed, time to used up mine. Do you think they have expiry date?

myCoffee said...

Thanks, boo and evan.

Precious Moments,
Thanks for dropping me. As for your question about the poppy seeds, I am not aware if they have any expiry date or not. I guess just as long as nothing "grows" on them, it should be fine to use. ;-)