Sunday, November 06, 2005

2 Favourites (Popiah & Pumpkin Kueh)

These indeed are 2 of my favourite meals; Popiah and Pumpkin Kueh.

I just love fresh popiah to the point that I wouldn't mind having it everyday as meals. Usually, it consists of fresh lettuce, shredded fried eggs, bean sprouts, "pang kuan chai" (a kind of vege stew made from shredded carrots and turnips, my mom makes a real mean one), topped with crushed peanuts with a dash of chilli and sweet sauce and lastly, wrapped in a thin popiah skin (a thin egg-based flour wrapper), it is simply delicious! I could just go on and on about the many kinds of popiah that I've tried and liked. But to cut the story short, my SIL prepared DIY popiah for dinner today much to my delight. Here's a picture of the sliced popiah:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
This is how the "pang kuan" vegetable stew looks like: (This one is prepared by my SIL)
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
And pumpkins, I don't think there is any pumpkin dish that I don't like. Anyhow, this Pumpkin Kueh is made by yours truly. This is an "easier" version, whereby instead of steaming and mashing the pumpkin, you just shred and pan-fry them with the rest of the condiments (dried shrimps, dried chinese mushrooms, dried chinese sausages) before pouring in the flour mixture and steaming it for an hour.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Once cooled, you slice and serve it with some chilli paste, sambal and/or sweet sauce.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
I find this version a bit too "wet". I think I would prefer a firmer bite with more pumpkin. So next time, no more short-cut for me when preparing this dish.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

No comments: