Friday, November 04, 2005

Coffee Break (Gula Melaka Kaya & Egg Tarts)

Recently went on a day-trip to Melaka. Well, it was more like a "makan" trip. I will post the delicious-looking pictures from this trip soon.

Anyway, while I was there, I bought some premium gula melaka (palm sugar blocks) from this little shop. I saw a patron buying a kilo of it and thought that I should get some too. They were the most fragrant-smelling gula melaka that I have ever come across. And what better way to utilize it than to use it to make some Thick "Gula Melaka" Kaya (Palm Sugar Egg Custard Spread).
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
One of my all-time favourite snacks is "roti bakar" or warm toasts spread with kaya and butter. With a good cup of rich coffee, it is simply delicious.
Seen here with some home-made honey wholemeal toast.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
And to accompany it were some egg-tarts although they were mostly for the kids at home who love it. This is another favourite recipe of mine.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Recipe for Gula Melaka Kaya is based on this.
Recipe for Egg Tarts here .

No comments: