Sunday, November 13, 2005
In The Mood for Orange (Orange Poppy Seed Butter Cake)
After reading this post in "She Bakes and She Cooks", I felt like baking a Orange Poppy Seed Butter Cake too. Recently, I bought 2 small bottles of orange oil and lemon oil so this would be a good opportunity to utilize at least one of them.
However, as I only had a little less than an hour, I took a short-cut. Here's the recipe:
Easy Orange Poppy Seed Butter Cake
- 250g butter cake mix (is possible, try to buy from a reputable baking supplies shop instead of getting a commerial brand one)
- 125g butter, unsalted (slightly softened)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp + 2.5 tsp orange juice
- 1/2tsp orange oil (or you can just use 3 tbsp orange juice + 1/2 tsp orange zest)
- approx. 2-3 tbsp poppy seeds (or as much as you like)
1. Preheat oven at 170-175c. Grease a 7-inch square pan.
2. Beat butter and cake mix for about 4 minutes till light and fluffy.
3. Add in eggs one by one, mixing well after each adddition.
4. Add in orange juice, orange oil and poppy seeds. Mix well (but be careful not to over-mix).
5. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until skewer comes out clean when inserted in the middle.
Optional: Garnish the top with some grated orange zest (long strips) before baking.
I really like the end result. The cake was light and fluffy; the orange flavour is nicely-balanced and not too over-powering (sometimes the case when using orange zest, or at least for "Asian tongues"). Also, the poppy seeds provide a nice crunch to the cake. Definitely worth a try!